01.04 -

Credit by Examination
A student who wishes to have the privilege of examination for degree credit must be in residence and not on academic probation.
A student may take examinations for credit toward the Master's Degree in any University course for which he would get credit by taking the course by normal attendance, except that he may not secure credit by examination in graduate seminar and research courses.
Petition for credit by examination (available in the office of the registrar) should be approved in advance of the undertaking of the work. The approval of the departmental graduate adviser, the Dean of the Graduate Division, and the instructor who is appointed to give the examination, are necessary before the examination may be given.
The credit earned by examination may be applied toward the unit requirement for the Master's Degree but cannot be used to reduce the minimum residence requirement.