01 -

General Provisions
Preparation for Higher Degrees and Certificates. A prospective candidate for any higher degree or certificate must hold a Bachelor's Degree from one of the colleges or schools of the University or from another recognized institution, based upon a curriculum that includes adequate preparation for advanced study in his/her major field. If a prospective candidate's undergraduate program is found to be deficient in any serious respect in its breadth of fundamental training or as a foundation for the work proposed, he/she will be required to make up the deficiencies.
Standards of Scholarship and Disqualification. Graduate students are expected to prove themselves worthy of the privilege of advanced study and research offered at the university by making acceptable progress towards degree objectives and maintaining the standards of scholarship established by the Graduate Council. Acceptable progress includes, but is not limited to:
  1. Completing courses with letter grades of "C-" or better or "S". Only these grades and higher may count toward satisfying graduate degree requirements
  2. Completing course work and other degree requirements in a timely manner. In order to support timely progress, students may take courses outside of their required course work only with approval of the Graduate Advisor
  3. Applying to graduate and completing the academic program once all degree requirements are met

    1. Students are considered to be making unacceptable progress and become subject to dismissal when:
      1. Cumulative grade point average falls below the required level of 3.0 at any time or
      2. Quarterly GPA in two consecutive terms fall below 3.0, even if the cumulative GPA remains above 3.0 or
      3. Fail to make progress in research for two consecutive quarters resulting in NC grades in research units or
      4. Program requirements such as exams or research are not fulfilled in a timely or satisfactory manner or
      5. Fail to pass critical exams (including comprehensive or qualifying exams) in two attempts or
      6. Does not have a faculty advisor to supervise research in accordance with the standard of practice in the student's program or
      7. PhD students not advanced to candidacy by their 15th quarter or any student not having completed all degree requirements within one year beyond normative time

      After consultation with the appropriate department or graduate group, the Dean of the Graduate Division will notify students who become subject to dismissal of actions taken. (AM 21 May 19)
Departmental or Graduate Group Rules and Requirements for Higher Degrees and Certificates. Subject to such provisions as appear elsewhere in these and University regulations, each department or graduate group may adopt additional rules and requirements for higher degrees and certificates; such additional rules and requirements are subject to review by and the advice of the Graduate Council.
Credit by Examination
A student who wishes to have the privilege of examination for degree credit must be in residence and not on academic probation.
A student may take examinations for credit toward the Master's Degree in any University course for which he would get credit by taking the course by normal attendance, except that he may not secure credit by examination in graduate seminar and research courses.
Petition for credit by examination (available in the office of the registrar) should be approved in advance of the undertaking of the work. The approval of the departmental graduate adviser, the Dean of the Graduate Division, and the instructor who is appointed to give the examination, are necessary before the examination may be given.
The credit earned by examination may be applied toward the unit requirement for the Master's Degree but cannot be used to reduce the minimum residence requirement.
Study List Regulations (En 24 Nov 70)
A study list is a student's choice of courses to be pursued in any quarter.
At the beginning of each quarter every student is required to file with the Graduate Division his/her detailed study list bearing the approval of the graduate adviser.
A student is expected to make normal progress toward his/her credential or Degree objective. The maximum number of quarters in which students may be considered to be full-time is: 8 quarters for elementary and secondary credential students, 10 for special credential students, 7 for Master's students, 9 for M.F.A. students, and 20 for Ph.D. students.
After the study list is filed, a student may request changes in courses by formal petition.
A change in the study list must be approved by the graduate adviser and, in the case of a course to be added or dropped, by the instructor concerned.
Courses may be added to the study list until the end of the third week of instruction. No course may be added after that time without approval of the Graduate Dean.
Courses may be dropped at any time prior to the end of the fifth week of instruction. If the adviser or instructor withholds approval of a petition to drop a course, the student may appeal to the Graduate Dean. In Spring and Summer 2020 and Fall 2021, a graduate student may drop a course before the end of the grade submission deadline and no indication will be entered on the permanent transcript. (COVID-19 Temp Modification 6 April - extended 8 June 2020) (COVID-19 Temp. Modification En 10 June 2020)(COVID-19 Temp. Modification En 26 July 2021)
With approval of the Graduate Dean, students may withdraw from the University at any time prior to the end of instruction.
Any changes in a student's study list not covered by the above regulations must have the approval of the Graduate Dean.
In order to take a course in Directed Studies (290), a student must complete a petition stating the content of the course, the number of units, and the reason he/she needs to take such a course. The petition must have the written approval of the instructor and of the department Chair or graduate adviser, and it must then be filed with the office of the Dean of the Graduate Division. (En 7 Apr 72)